Follow these 10 tips to ensure your log home's wood stays in good shape.
1. Research.Learn about the unique characteristics of wood and how climate and environment will affect your logs.
2. Start off clean.Make sure you are working with a clean surface by removing any finishes that are currently on your logs.
3. Inspect regularly.Take regular strolls around your home to inspect your logs. Look for discoloration and signs of rot. Also, look for any potential problem areas such as leaking eaves, cracks and insect infestation.
4. Keep ahead of the game.If you see mold starting to grow, wash it right away. If you see a crack forming, seal it. The longer you let these problems go the more costly the damage will be.
5. Don't take chances.Use products specifically designed for logs. If you go to the hardware store and pick the cheapest product, you're not going to get the protection you need and you'll end up paying for it in the long run. You may even harm your logs.
6. Be kind to Mother Nature.If you are like most log home owners, you care about the environment. Find products that will provide results without harming the earth.
7. Know thy logs.Keep track of what you apply to your logs. It's important to find out how one product will interact with another. Some sealants, for example, won't adhere to certain stains. You may need to strip your logs before you treat them with another product.
8. Let 'em breathe.Don't coat your logs with a product that seals in moisture and prevents them from breathing. You'll create a pressure-cooker situation that will eventually make the coating peel and crack.
9. Be careful with landscaping.Don't plant trees and shrubs too close to your foundation. Don't plant vines or stack firewood against your log walls. By doing this, you create breeding grounds for insects, pests, mold and rot.
10. Do what you're told.Follow all manufacturer's instructions. Not only will you better protect your logs, you could also save yourself problems collecting on a warranty if something goes wrong.
Yes! Please send me a FREE trial issue of Log Home Living and 2 FREE gifts.
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll get 8 more issues (9 in all) for just $15.95, a savings of 65%! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing. The FREE trial issue and 2 FREE gifts are mine to keep, no matter what.